The first 72 hours following an auto accident, after you’ve been served with divorce papers, or after you’ve been arrested and charged with a crime, can be confusing and difficult to sort through. However, what you do or don’t do in that time can affect your case. Consulting with a knowledgeable Texas attorney is crucial for proper guidance and to protect your rights.
The Torres Attorneys are committed to providing outstanding legal services and helping clients through difficult situations in their lives. Whether you are trying to recover damages for your injuries, defend your criminal charges, or need help navigating key decisions in your divorce, our attorneys can offer you the experienced comprehensive legal counsel and advocacy you need. We can fight compassionately to protect your rights, help you seek fair compensation for your injuries, resolve divorce issues diligently, or refute the criminal charges against you with overwhelming evidence.
The Torres Attorneys are proud to serve clients throughout Corpus Christi, Texas, and the surrounding communities of Fort Worth and Dallas.
The First 72 Hours After an Accident
The period immediately after a car accident can be quite terrifying and frustrating. However, what you do in the first 72 hours after your accident can considerably affect the outcome of your personal injury claim. Where possible, you should take the following steps:
- Get to safety and help other victims to safety.
- Seek immediate medical help to receive treatment for your injuries. Even if you don’t feel injured, it’s best to let a medical professional assess your health. You may have sustained injuries that won’t manifest themselves for several days after the accident.
- Call the police or law enforcement agency. Some cities/counties have requirements that accidents are reported within a few days of their occurrence. Not doing so can lead to penalties.
- Collect all relevant information, including the other driver’s phone number, license number, police report, accident scene pictures, and witness statements.
- Document your personal account of the incident, medical expenses, medical treatment, and doctor’s appointments.
- Notify your insurance company about the auto accident. Some insurers have specific time requirements in which notification must be given.
- Hire an experienced auto accident attorney to help you gather evidence, file claims, and negotiate a fair settlement with the insurer.
The sooner these steps are taken, the easier it will be to gather critical information and evidence. With the passage of time, details are forgotten, documentation misplaced, and videos are erased.
Auto accidents usually have significant long-term ramifications on the lives of the victims and their families. Hiring a knowledgeable Texas personal injury attorney is crucial to protecting your rights and pursuing fair compensation for your injuries.
First 72 Hours After Being Served/Serving Divorce Papers
Going through a divorce can be an emotional experience. With all of the misleading information out there, it is easier to make irreversible mistakes without proper guidance. Here’s what to do during the first 72 hours after being served or after serving divorce papers:
- Hire an experienced divorce attorney to help review your unique situation and determine your possible options.
- Serve, review, or respond to the divorce papers and make a counterclaim.
- Manage your finances, and protect your assets and legal rights.
- Collect all required information from your spouse and gather necessary documentation.
- Review options with legal counsel, including mediation, contested divorce, or non-contested divorce.
A divorce or legal separation can have significant long-term consequences on several aspects of your life, including your family, finances, children, and property. A knowledgeable Texas family law attorney can offer you experienced legal guidance and help you navigate key decisions.
The First 72 Hours After an Arrest
Thousands of individuals across the country are charged with misdemeanors and felonies every day. If you’re under investigation or if you have been arrested and charged with a criminal offense, here’s what to do:
- When arrested and before being charged, you have the right to remain silent.
- Hire an attorney to investigate your case and strategize your defense.
- Don’t speak to anyone without the presence or consent of your attorney.
- Be polite. Don’t physically fight the arrest or search process. This may lead to additional charges.
- Document the events leading to your arrest and what happened while you were in custody.
- Ask about your charges to know why you have been arrested and what exactly you’re being charged for.
- Work with your attorney to post bail or bond.
- Keep a low profile. Don’t reach out to victims or post on social media.
- Don’t discuss your case with anyone apart from your criminal defense attorney.
Defending your criminal charges by yourself can increase your risks of suffering the maximum penalties. Therefore, it is important to retain a highly-skilled and aggressive Texas criminal defense attorney immediately to help protect your rights and strategize an effective defense.
How The Torres Law Firm Can Help
The first 72 hours after being involved in a car accident, serving/being served with divorce papers, or charged with a crime is the most critical. Your response and actions during this period greatly determine the aftermath. However, seeking injury claims, resolving divorce issues, or defending criminal charges involve a lot of complex procedures. Therefore, having the right legal representation that fits your particular situation is crucial.
The Torres Attorneys are highly skilled, experienced, and knowledgeable in all the legal services we provide. Our team will review every detail of your case, conduct a thorough, private investigation, and determine the best way to proceed. Whether you are trying to pursue your rightful compensation for your injuries, navigate key decisions in your divorce, or defend yourself against criminal allegations, we will offer you the comprehensive legal guidance, advocacy, and support you need. With our team on your side, you can increase your chances of getting a favorable outcome in your case.
Work with Experienced Personal Injury, Divorce, &
Criminal Defense Attorneys Serving Corpus Christi, TX
If you or a loved one were hurt in a negligent auto accident, considering a divorce, have been served with divorce papers, or been charged with a crime, contact The Torres Attorneys today to schedule a one-on-one consultation. Our attorneys can offer you the experienced legal counsel and advocacy you need to navigate key decisions. We proudly serve clients throughout Corpus Christi, Dallas, and Fort Worth, Texas.